essay on animal rights are as important as human rights energy conservation essay in english free education narrative essays society success essay


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a visa to study in Canada?

Most foreign students will need a study permit to study in Canada for a duration of more than 6 months. If you are studying for a duration of six months or less you will likely need either a Visitor’s visa OR an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada depending on which country you are from.   Check Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)’s website for current information before you make travel plans, because the list of countries can change at any time. You must complete your chosen course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. Temporary Resident Visa is an official document issued by a visa office abroad. It is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident. For more information, visit:   Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new entry requirement for visa exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. The authorization is electronically linked to your passport and it can be requested online. For more information, visit:

How do I apply for a visa?

Register for your English course at and submit your payment. You will receive our Letter of Acceptance which you may use for your visa application. To apply for a visa, please contact the nearest Canadian visa centre. Many visa offices have specific local instructions concerning the documentation to be submitted with your application. For a complete list of Canadian Consulates, please visit:

What documents will I need to present upon arrival in Canada?

When you arrive in Canada, you will need to show:
  • Valid passport
  • Study permit (if you will study in Canada longer than six months) OR Temporary Resident Visa (if required for your country)
  • Proof of sufficient funds
  • Return airline ticket
  • Letter of Acceptance from English Encounters
  • Confirmation of accommodation in Canada (homestay letter, if you have requested one)

What is the Age of Majority in Canada?

Note that in Ontario the legal drinking age for purchasing, possessing, consuming and supplying alcohol, marijuana, or tobacco is 19 years.

How much money should I bring with me?

This depends on the length of your course. You should consider your expenses for public transportation plus other personal expenses (which could total around $500 CAD per month). Remember that if you join the homestay program, this will include two meals per day, so you just need to buy your daily lunch.

How far in advance should I book my course?

You should book your course at least 15 to 75 days before the start date, depending on the country you are coming from. When a course lasts longer than 6 months, a study permit is required. In addition, students coming from certain countries need a visa or eTA to enter Canada.

How long before my course starts should I arrive in Canada?

In most cases, arriving one or two days in advance of the course start date is enough. Your course will begin on a Monday, so you can arrive in Burlington the Saturday or Sun day before.

Can I get a job in Canada?

You must be a permanent resident or Canadian citizen to work in Canada legally. It may be possible to work under the International Experience Canada program, which includes the Working Holiday Visa, International Co-op, and Young Professionals experience. Check for more information.

What is the minimum age requirement for students?

The minimum age requirement for students attending English Encounters is 18.

How many students are there per class?

The average number of students per class is 6-8 and rarely exceeds 9. A small class allows each student to participate and receive maximum teacher support.

Is there a minimum length of stay?

The minimum course length is two weeks and the maximum is one year.

Is English Encounters a Designated Learning Institution?

Yes! This means that students can use an acceptance letter from English Encounters (which has our DLI number on it) to apply for a study permit if they plan to study for longer than 6 months.

How do I obtain Health Insurance?

English Encounters offers Medical Health Insurance through Guard.Me. If you do not have another insurance provider or plan for while you are in Canada, it is important that you purchase insurance through us . The current cost is $15 per week.

Is it easy to get to school from my homestay?

Yes, some homestay families are within walking distance of the school. For those farther away, the Burlington bus system is very easy to use. Burlington is also very accessible by bicycle.

Is there shopping near the school?

Yes, there is a supermarket just steps from the school as well as a “dollar” store (which sells many things all for $3 or less). Also, within walking distance is a Walmart and a major shopping mall (Mapleview Mall). Outlet shopping is a bus ride away, and for more shopping options, just get on the train to Toronto! The train station is a 20 minute walk (or short bus ride) up the street from the school!