Frequently Asked Questions

Navigating a new educational journey can be filled with excitement and a fair share of queries. That’s why we’ve compiled a comprehensive list of FAQs to help smooth your path towards mastering English with us. Whether you’re curious about course offerings, visa processes, local climate, or how to prepare for your stay in Canada, we’ve got you covered. Our FAQs are designed to provide you with detailed, up-to-date information to address all your concerns and make your experience as enriching and hassle-free as possible. Dive in to find answers to common questions and start your English learning adventure with confidence!

Who can enroll in English Encounters?

Our ESL programs are open to students of 17 years and older of all proficiency levels who wish to improve their English skills. Whether you are a beginner or looking to refine advanced skills, there is a course for you.

How are the classes structured?

Classes are typically structured around interactive activities, practical language use, and cultural immersion. Class sizes are kept small to ensure personalized attention.

When can I start my course?

Students can start studying with us on any Monday throughout the year. If Monday is a holiday, new students can start on the following Tuesday.

How long does a course last?

Course lengths vary. We offer short-term courses (a few weeks) and longer-term programs (several months). Students can choose based on their goals and availability. The minimum duration for our full time courses is two (2) weeks.

Do I get a certificate upon completion?

Yes, students receive a certificate upon successfully completing a course, indicating their level of proficiency and the nature of the course taken.

Can I get help with accommodation if I'm coming from abroad?

Yes, we assist international students in finding suitable accommodation during their course. We usually recommend staying with one of our host families (homestay), but there are other options available as well.

Are there any cultural activities or excursions included?

Yes, we believe in a holistic learning approach and organize cultural activities and excursions to help students immerse themselves in the English-speaking environment.

How can I register for a course?

Registration can be done online through our website or by visiting our office. Our team can guide you through the process and help select the right course for you.

What kind of visa do I need to study in Canada?

International students typically require a study permit to attend a course in Canada, especially if the course duration is longer than six months. Short-term students may only need a visitor visa. We recommend checking with the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate for the most accurate and up-to-date information.

How do I apply for a Canadian study permit?

You can apply for a study permit online or at a Canadian visa office. You’ll need to provide proof of acceptance from English Encounters, proof of identity, proof of financial support, and other documents as required. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website for detailed instructions.

What are the closest airports to English Encounters?

The best airports to arrive at are Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ), or John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport (YHM)

Does English Encounters offer airport pickup services?

Yes, we provide an airport pickup service for international students. This service must be arranged in advance with our administrative office. Please provide your travel details at least two weeks before your arrival to ensure availability.

How should I prepare for my arrival in Canada?

Ensure you have all necessary documents: passport, visa/study permit, acceptance letter, and any other required paperwork. Also, familiarize yourself with Canadian customs and immigration processes.

Is health insurance required for international students?

Yes, it is highly recommended and mandatory that international students have health insurance during their stay in Canada. Some provinces may offer health coverage, but it often does not apply to international students or has a waiting period.

Learn English in Canada, English Language Learning Centre